Grateful Moment

I'm grateful for Hugs from Chad

Friday, August 22, 2008

My Week Out of Town

OK, so I mentioned that I would tell you about my being out of town for a week. I'm not sure it qualifies as a vacation though. Every year the YMCA in Boise holds a Bike tour called "Ride Idaho" They ask our Ham radio club the VOI to help with communications during the 450 mile ride. basically we drive with the riders everyday and if something goes wrong such as flat tires, wrecks, fatigue, etc. they aren't far from help. They ride an average of 60 miles a day. But that doesn't mean I only had to drive 60 miles a day, that would be too easy. Because we have to drive up and down the course until all the riders make it to camp. one day they had to ride 80 miles but I drove 230 I was so tired. The original plan was Chad wanted to go, however since it was his week vacation from work he didn't want to spend it away from the family so he wouldn't go unless I did, well in order for me to get the free hotel room and free meals, I had to also contribute. So Chad and I both drove out to Idaho falls Chad in his truck and me in my car. We both worked hard. What about the boys you ask?? oh yes they were there! I thought for sure it would be just awful trying to take the boys in the car for a whole week. But they did really well, better then I expected. They were both well behaved and all of the riders and YMCA staff were impressed with how they were.
The problems. Yes of course every trip has to have problems. On i think about the 3rd or 4th day, my car started being weird and with in 20 min it died! We figured out it was my alternator witch makes me super upset because we just replaced that last year. We were out side Alpine WY and we had to drive into Jackson WY to get the part. So Chad and my dad (thanks dad) stayed up super later and fixed it in the hotel parking lot. And also that day my tire got a slow leak and we had to air it up everyday. But then the night we stayed in Lava Hot springs we woke up to a complete flat tire. SO we put the spare on and did the ride and when we got to Pocatello we got it repaired. But the hardest part of the whole trip was we couldn't get to the hotel until after 7pm and by the time we got to bed around 9 we had to get up at 5 or 6. I know to some people that seems like enough sleep but me and the boys aren't use to it. the boys' bed time is 8pm but they sleep until 8am. and me I got to bed around 10pm and get up at 8am. So it was a really hard adjustment for the week and it made us all tired. I felt so bad because every time we woke the boys up to get them dressed they just cried because they needed to sleep longer.
So anyway, it wasn't 100% awful but it wasn't my ideal vacation. Everyone keeps asking if I'm going next year but we will have to see, I will have the new baby and not sure I want to do that with that small of one. We'll have to see.

0 comments: