I don't know if it's because Chad is always working on holidays or it's just the fact that we're lazy, but when it comes to holidays and our family we just aren't that in to it. When in comes to Christmas we've always been honest with the kids about the true story of Santa Claus about how he served others. We do gifts and read the true Christmas story and have a nice meal. That is our biggest holiday.
New Years well lets just say we're in bed by 12:01 and the only reason it's not at 9pm is because it's a thrill to a 10 year old to stay up until midnight.
Valentines day is a wash for us. once in a great while I might make some heart shaped cookies but it's more out of guilt not tradition. And we don't exchange valentines cards how ever the kids may draw a big heart and a cute note but again that is about it.
St. Paddy's day The only reason I dress up is to prove to Chad what happens when you wear red.....Does anyone else know?
Easter I will admit we do something on Easter. The kids like finding eggs in the yard with candy and sometimes some money. I try to have a nice dinner and we talk about Jesus Christ resurrection. I think we make this a good holiday because it's a Christ one.
Mothers Day/Fathers Day I don't need 1 day a year for my family to show me how much I mean to them. They tell me quite often.
4th of July. (the reason for this post) I just don't understand spending $100's of dollars on fireworks to watch burn in the street and pollute the air of this nation. Or showing up 2 hours early to get a good seat to watch a 15 min parade. Or seeing everyone dress like the red white and blue fairy puked on them. Last year we did try doing one of the events around the valley and it was fun I guess but it was a very Looooong day. and Chad worked today so I WILL NOT take the kids by myself for that. Don't get me wrong I am a patriotic person and I'm so grateful for our nation. But quite frankly our nation is turning into something that I don't think our Founding Fathers had envisioned.
Thanksgiving to us well.....More of a chore. Chad ALWAYS works that day and the day after so we can't ever go anywhere and we live too far away for family to come to us. It's just so much work to try and make a Thanksgiving feast for a whole bunch of picky children.
Labor Day, Memorial Day......What else did I miss?? Hug your dog day?????
I know it probably sounds like I'm a real ba hum bug. but seriously we don't conform to the social convention of spending money on every single holiday to make silly crafts, get all cutsied up, or whatever else they do. I'm really enjoying cleaning my house in the air conditioning on this hot day.
Happy 4th of July everyone.
Grateful Moment
I'm grateful for Hugs from Chad
Thursday, July 4, 2013
Holidays
Posted by
Carey
at
2:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment