Grateful Moment

I'm grateful for Hugs from Chad

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Education

Here we are again time to start school. I hate this time of year because we always have the question to answer Home school or Main Stream? We told Carsyn that we would go year by year. Well he of course wants main stream. I could go into my personal emotions around this subject but I will save that for my personal journal and my husbands shoulder because some things have a place on the internet and some don't. And I wanted to share something about Carsyn. We always knew he was special. He has always been above the game. Rewind to his 5th grade year (his first year in public school) We got a little irritated Because in Jan His math teacher said that the 5th grade book was a wash for Carsyn (we knew that) and so all he had been doing all year was accelerated math thats fine but in Jan Carsyn had mastered all the objectives available for that and his teacher said well I can't do anything else for him so create an account on Kahnacadamy.com and track your progress. Ummm Ok??? SO then at the end of the school year all the kids take a test to see where they will be with 6th grade math and if they could skip it and move ahead with math 7. His teacher said Carsyn will have no problem with it. Sure enough we got a letter that Carsyn qualified for math 7.  So my 10 year old who is already in a grade ahead is now going to be 2 grades ahead in math..Fast FWD to last night. We go down to register him for middle school She pulls up his file and said we need to see Miss White (I think she is the head of the math dpt) I said well he passed the test to be in math 7 does it not show that and she says I don't know you just need to see Miss White. So now I'm ready to put up a fight and make sure he gets into math 7. I'm thinking they probably have a problem with his age or something. Anyway we find her and told her we were supposed to see her. She got a confused look on her face and looked up his name and was looking on her screen and says...Awww Yes I see now and smiled and proceeded to talk about testing. I said "Well He already took the test at the end of last year and the letter said He qualified". She said "Yes...He BLEW that out of the park" She was talking about having him tested for math 8. Apparently he got an 89% on math 7.

So putting him in Public school this year I still hate the idea but I'm glad that this middle school saw his potential and are willing to let him go ahead. I am going to ask about his reading because I know he is well advanced in that too.

I am excited that Carsyn will be in Band. That is the one and only subject I was aloud by my parents to take and it was the most awesome experience I've ever had. He tried out for the percussion but he isn't a shoe in they will see how he does at band camp. If  it turns out He can't do percussion He has chosen to do the trumpet. And while His Dad would love to see him play the sax We're happy with that choice.

Once I get Carsyn settled in School I will turn my focus. I have 3 boys at home that I will be homeschooling. Corbyn has been doing great with what we've done. And I'm curious to see how he does this year since my 6 year old LOVES doing multiplication.


0 comments: